Sunday, September 09, 2007

Sacred Life Hands

My Sacred Life includes a sister who helps me in so many different ways. Here is her hand demonstrating how she holds the yarn in crochet. Can you tell from this photo that she's left handed?
Here is my hand. I took photos so I'd be able to remember later and because I just love hands. Hands are sacred.
It's nice to learn something new. I am starting to get the hang or hook of crochet. I went to my second class yesterday and it wasn't nearly as difficult as that first week. My goal this week is to make a dish cloth. What I love about learning this new thing is the absolute freedom I feel while doing it. I'm not learning it very quickly in fact I feel a bit dense and inept with it but what feels so free to me is that I don't have to impress anyone. I feel no pressure to make it into anything.

I also love having something to do with my hands. I watch too much TV and it feels so wonderful to be learning something that I can do while watching TV. There is something very comforting about actively using both hands and therefore both sides of my brain. Oh, what freedom to find a hand craft that my perfectionist simply doesn't give a darn about. Who cares it says.......so off I go practicing a little here and there and just having fun learning something new. That is sacred.